What Rick and Curt said.

These cars are built to a very different standard than you're used to. While we
all chuckle at the "million mile engine" claims in CL ads, there's a lot more
truth to that than many might believe.

Your car is barely broken in. Short of a catastrophic failure, to go out and
try to find a back up drive train is false economy, as it's unlikely you'll
ever need it.

Now I certainly wouldn't discourage someone from trying to find a tired OM617
they can disassemble and rebuild as a learning experience and potential backup
if ever needed, but to purposely seek a drive train as a spare would be silly,
in my opinion, not to mention a waste of resources.

My 350SDL just turned 269,000 miles. Compression is great, it doesn't leak or
burn oil, and other than having a little delay when engaging reverse,
everything is in great working order. As long as I maintain it well there's no
reason why it wouldn't go another 260k or more without major work.  I'm not
about to tie up coin in a spare engine or transmission when there's no need.

-D

Sent from my iPad