It's a matter of degree but bleach kills bacteria that help liquefy the solids
and sludge.  You must be lucky at 21 years.  I called for a pump-out on a new
system after 5 years but the guy said I wouldn't need one yet.  At 12 years
everything suddenly plugged up so solid that I also had to clear the sewage
line after pumping the tank.  In retrospect I resolved to pump more often,
regardless.