The Volt is a better idea that the Prius as its a series hybrid, the gas
engine only powers the electric motor which powers the wheels, this cuts down
on the extra weight of the parallel drive train.
I think we can call the battery concerns of the old days overblown, the
batteries are all third party and have proven themselves, the Prius after all
has been out for a long time at this point.
-Curt

    On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, 11:40:56 AM EST, Randy Bennell via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On 26/11/2018 7:58 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
> When I first heard about the Volt, I figured it was the worst of both worlds.
> Worse fuel economy than a Cruze on the hwy running on gas, not enough battery
> range to be a viable electric car.
>
> But in talking to people who own them, it works in practice. They charge it
> up when they're home, let it run in hybrid mode when it's low on charge, and
> even with some extra running on the gas engine just to keep it active they
> get over 200mpg not counting the cost of electricity.
> Even on a long trip, like 1200 miles to Florida, I bet I could get over 45
> miles per gallon in a 2nd generation Volt. Run electric for the first 50
> miles, let it recharge some on the downhills in Kentucky and Tennessee, and
> finish with the battery at 20%.
>
> Mitch.

Agreed. I thought it was stupid when it first came out but I have seen
some of them on the road and am coming around to the idea that it might
be a decent vehicle. I wonder how long the battery is good for and what
it costs to replace or repair it.
I also wonder why GM is dropping it given their stated intention to
invest a bundle in electric car development. It would seem logical to
keep the only one they have going in the interim.

RB