On 26/11/2018 7:58 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
When I first heard about the Volt, I figured it was the worst of both worlds.
Worse fuel economy than a Cruze on the hwy running on gas, not enough battery
range to be a viable electric car.

But in talking to people who own them, it works in practice. They charge it up
when they're home, let it run in hybrid mode when it's low on charge, and even
with some extra running on the gas engine just to keep it active they get over
200mpg not counting the cost of electricity.
Even on a long trip, like 1200 miles to Florida, I bet I could get over 45
miles per gallon in a 2nd generation Volt. Run electric for the first 50 miles,
let it recharge some on the downhills in Kentucky and Tennessee, and finish
with the battery at 20%.

Mitch.

Agreed. I thought it was stupid when it first came out but I have seen some of them on the road and am coming around to the idea that it might be a decent vehicle. I wonder how long the battery is good for and what it costs to replace or repair it. I also wonder why GM is dropping it given their stated intention to invest a bundle in electric car development. It would seem logical to keep the only one they have going in the interim.

RB