On 27/11/2018 12:28 PM, Mitch Haley via Mercedes wrote:
On November 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

I think we can call the battery concerns of the old days overblown, the
batteries are all third party and have proven themselves, the Prius after all
has been out for a long time at this point.
The lithium battery Prius was introduced in 2015 IIRC. They were NiMH from
1999-2014, proven tech but not as energy dense as lithium.

The Leaf has been around since the 2011 model year, but Nissan was forced to
give out a lot of free batteries when the early ones didn't last as long as
promised.
The current batteries, if used with decent temperature management (for example,
if they're not in a Leaf), should be good for 7-10 years, at which point the
car will probably be worth less than a replacement battery.

Mitch.

My understanding is that there is a shortage of lithium to make batteries on a large scale. I also fail to see or understand how is it good for the environment to toss a car after the battery wears out in 7 years? Much of the USA has pretty old and limited electrical infrastructure so charging a few million cars is not going to be easy or cheap. If the utilities have to ramp up the grid, you all know it is going to cost $$$.

RB