>I hate to say it, but I take Internet reviews with a >large block of salt.

I do too, but the more information you have, the better choices you can make.
Obviously a car with squeaks and rattles may get more complaints, but when you
have major issues (e.g. GM 3.4 intake gasket failures, Honda transmission
failures, etc.) it's good to have a heads up. Yes, any car can be repaired with
upgraded parts (3.5L Mercedes inline six diesel, 722.6 conductor plate), but
the point here is getting your son a reliable, gas and go vehicle. If a vehicle
has known failure points, they become very apparent in an internet search.

Rick