As I understand it, the important thing with Blue Tec is that the DPF
"regeneration" cycle needs time to complete. If it's frequently interrupted,
you eventually have problems. I don't know how long a cycle takes, or if 6-8
miles of driving is enough time. Kevin posted a writeup a while back on
someone's woes with Bluetec.

It's not great for any car, gas or diesel, to not get fully warmed up. You
really want to get the engine oil and exhaust fully warm to drive out moisture.
That said, a 6-8 miles drive twice daily is probably OK especially if some of
it is at highway speeds and you're doing occasional longer drives. You might be
better off with a gasser though, or (heaven forbid) even an EV for a commute
that short.