To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Global Warming rebuttal

Gee, that must explain why sattelite photographs show some much less
ice around both poles, eh?

As I remember, the warming of the planet has not been in dispute by
reputable scientists for going on 30 years now -- there are a few who
insist that temperatures at 50,000 ft aren't going up much, but then I
don't live there, I live here on the surface.

Also not in dispute is that the carbon dioxide content of both air and
ocean water is increasing at a rather high rate -- there are fairly
accurate numbers going back a couple hundred years, and unless I'm
mistaken, the carbon dioxide content is more than double what it was in
1900.

All that carbon dioxide is from burning fossil fuels -- renewable fuels
(wood and buffalo chips, mostly) get re-absorbed into plant growth,
more or less, as they would have been anyway through decay of various
sorts.  The immense quantities of fossil fuel we are blasting through
is having an equally immense impact, and no amount of jawboning is
gonna change that.

Yes, there have been climate changes in the past (for instance, I am
quite certain that there was open ocean in the arctic during the 500s
AD), but the carbon dioxide level was constant, not climbing.

There are quite a few very wealthy institutions with  a vested interest
blowing a lot of pseudo science around about global warming, mostly so
they can justify drilling and selling more oil and cars -- take a step
back and use your own knoggin, the evidence is there for anyone to look
at.

Peter