OMG!  And I thought I was the only one who knew!

Once I had a worn out timing set on a 302 Ford engine replaced at
the local Ford dealer's shop. Chain had climbed the sprocket. $$$

Not many miles later, I pulled the oil drinking engine for rebuild.  302
Ford timing sprockets slip on the crank and cam with chain on both
sprockets when slipped on.  Kind of a Chinese puzzle.

This one had been hammered on the cam, and some of the nylon teeth
on the cam sprocket were cracked, and others were broken off.  It
had worked fine with teeth broken off.

I took the set back to the dealer with my invoice for parts and labor,
and I got a new timing set free.

One reason to do one's own work is to avoid crap like that.  I am
fortunate to have an independent foreign car mechanic who I do not
believe would ever do CLT.

The bad news is that some of his (semi transient) help will do CLT
and worse.  That is another story for another time, titled  "The great
water pump change fiasco."  Soon to be in paperback in stores near
you.

<mercedes@okiebenz.com>