you wrote that : <<his (semi transient) help will do CLT and worse.  That is
another story >>

Unfortunately, this is widespread IMHO.  The only reason they get away with
it and stay in business is the public's lack of knowledge of mechanical
things.  They are uninformed enough to believe the following one or more
excuses:
+ they all do that
+ must be chinese parts
+ can't get good help these days
+ things aren't made to last like they used to
+ I've never seen or heard or that before
+ it's gotta be that synthetic/dino crap you;re using
+ you;re not using this $40 additive we sell are you?
+ it's the way you are driving it
+you're not bringing it in to us often enough

and on and on.  I have long ago decided to do all the work I possibly can.
Luckily I was trained as a mechanic back in the late 60s which allows me to
do everything from engine and transmission rebuilds to brake work.  There's
somethings I refuse to do - exhaust work is a PITA so I pay someone which is
also true for much of the work that needs to be done while laying on my back
in the garage.  Plus, I;m getting older so more and more will probably be
done by others.  But I;ll resist as much as possible.

The biggest problem I have with others working on my car is them not doing
things that obviously need done while they;re in there.  If I'm working on
something and see missing pr loose fasteners, I fix them.  If a mechanic
sees missing stuff I wish they;d tell me and I;d probably tell them to fix
it.  If it were me, I'd always fix things needing it.  My second biggest
complaint is them doing things that don't need to be done but they keep
defending what they did as necessary to an absurd extent.

I think that there is hope - todays kids seem drawn to cars the way many of
us were in the 50s and 60s.  They do much of their own work and understand
how their cars work.

Although it seems a lot of kids are unwilling to choose this line of work.
A local community college president related this story - a local Ford dealer
told the Pres he would hire any students graduating from the CCs auto
technology program at a starting salary of $50K /yr. This was 5 years ago so
I suspect it has gone up.  Sadly there were few takers.

Oh well, life goes on --

Sadly,
Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net
.