On 07-Jun-99 Kai Schütz wrote:
> Ok, I tested the packet: (If got a PentiumPro, Debian 2.1 System)

 Thanks for your help!

> It figured out correctly to enable mmx, asm and 3Dnow. It also enabled -DSVGA
> ??? I want X11 !

 Yes. It has found SVGAlib on your system. X11 doesn't need any special
 compiler flags.

> And where have the libraries gone ? I finally found them under mysterious
> hidden ".libs" paths ?! What is this good for ?

 Libtool stores them (and temporary files) there.

> And how do I compile the demos in the varous directories ?
> Do I have to "make" each target on it's own ?

 No. Just do "make check" after you've compiled the libraries.

># make install
> Installed a lot of stuff under /usr/local. Why is the library-version
> 2.1.2 ? Isn't this supposed to be version 3.1 ?

 This is a common misunderstanding.
 Every platform has it's own versioning scheme and
 libtool uses the appropriate one.

 I pass the following information to libtool:

 # CURRENT:REVISION:AGE
 -version-info 3:2:1

 An excerpt from the libtool documentation:

CURRENT
     The most recent interface number that this library implements.

REVISION
     The implementation number of the CURRENT interface.

AGE
     The difference between the newest and oldest interfaces that this
     library implements.  In other words, the library implements all the
     interface numbers in the range from number `CURRENT - AGE' to
     `CURRENT'.

   If two libraries have identical CURRENT and AGE numbers, then the
dynamic linker chooses the library with the greater REVISION number.

> I can also test this on linux-alpha and SGI/IRIX, and perhaps on a DEC/Ultrix
> machine later...

 That would be great. But we should fix some known bugs first.

email: tanner@(ffii.org|gnu.org|ggi-project.org|gmx.de)
web:   http://home.pages.de/~tanner
GGI/Picasso: http://picasso.ffii.org