A possible limitation of this scheme is that it doesn't readily map to
hardware that can configure its own interpolators to behave either as
GENERIC, COLOR (or some other semantic) dynamically.

However, it seems to me that at least ARB_fragment_program only
requires and supports 2 COLOR registers (primary and secondary), 1 FOG
register and 1 PSIZE register.

I'm not sure if any API can support more than 2 COLOR, 1 FOG and 1
PSIZE register as vertex shader outputs/fragment shader inputs (note
that this is totally different from COLOR as a fragment shader output,
where each COLOR semantic maps to a different render target), and thus
I'm not sure if such functionality is useful.

A driver with that functionality wishing to let an application use
more than 2 COLORs is however free to do remapping in the driver even
under my proposal. It just doesn't _have_ to do it.