On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Luca Barbieri <l...@luca-barbieri.com> wrote:
>> Where the semantic indicates some relationship to actual system resources, I
>> agree that the number is constrained by the number of those system
>> resources.  In the case of the gallium "GENERIC" semantic, there is
>> explicitly no system resource that semantic is referring to and hence no
>> limit on the index.
>
> GENERIC[i] refers to a slot in the output register file of the vertex
> shader or a slot in the input register file of the fragment shader.
> It also refers to the interpolator unit that interpolates data between
> those two registers.

Luca,

I see our point of agreement being that we want to help drivers avoid
re-translating shaders at binding time.

Our disagreement basically boils down to a difference between
improving things on one type of hardware (with fixed-function
interpolators) versus doing a better job everywhere, in particular
also helping hardware that does interpolation in the shader (i965,
llvmpipe, r800?).

Right now, I feel like you're basically dug in and arguing the same
point again and again.  That makes it really hard to work on finding a
path forward that addresses both of our concerns.  Personally I'm
going to take a break from this thread, spend a couple of days looking
at i965, etc, to see what can be done to improve things there, and
maybe come back with an alternate proposal.

Keith