>  Personally I'm
> going to take a break from this thread, spend a couple of days looking
> at i965, etc, to see what can be done to improve things there, and
> maybe come back with an alternate proposal.

Yes, I think that the most important step is to precisely determine
how both hardware (and especially the newer cards you mentioned) works
and how shader APIs (especially DirectX) are defined.

Once the workings of both are known and agreed upon, the best solution
should be hopefully be clear.

In addition to looking at hardware such as i965, it would be awesome
to find some clear and unambiguous documentation on DirectX shader
semantics. and agree on its interpretation.