> You may want to reconsider whether that should be optional:
> <snip>
> If you really wanna be HIG-compliant, go ahead an add a multi-column list
> object. :)   Otherwise, I'd settle for some way to turn off the
> focusColor.

While UI guidelines call for the focus in a text field, I can think of
numerous examples, say, this email client, that I'm typing in, that doesn't
hilite the field. In fact, generally in the Mac UI the text field is only
hilited if it has no scrolling...

> There are probably other circumstances where we might want that off as
> well.

Yep. If every text field was left as the 3D opaque white-background text
field, then we could have it on all the time, as per UI guidelines.
However, since text fields are used in many different ways that just that...

> And if you've suddenly gotten religous about the Mac UI, at this point
> you're alone:  Amelio fired the HI research team, and Steve Jobs never
> rehired them -- merely replaced them with graphic artists.  Usability on
> the Mac is passe with OS X....   Apple has effectively been running blind
> for years now in the one area which has always been their market
> differentiator.

I agree. As a Human-Computer Interaction major, it really pisses me off
too. Apple spent years and years researching UI guidelines for their HIG,
and as of Mac OS X, it's just "whatever looks pretty". I like the OS X
interface, but it just flies in the face of usability research in so many
ways. (Like Windows, hem :-) I met with the HI team at Apple (it's what
they call them) and explained my concerns...

Here's a good example of things are different: "I liked the double scroll
arrows on the bottom in Mac OS 9 that was introduced because of NeXT. What
happened to them in Mac OS X? They're not even an option!"

Response: "Well, we just think the scrollbars look a lot nicer with the
balance of having an arrow on each end"

Great, lickability comes before usability. If they're not going to hire
their own UI team, then at least read up on the HI research that's been
going on... I was kind of hoping to work for Apple on their HI team, but
not if that's how they work now...

Best,
Reed

  "Life is too short to use anything but a Mac"  -- Roger Ebert