On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 Richard Gaskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Karl Becker wrote:
>
> > Actually, if we're really adhering to the HIG, shouldn't the
> > focusColor not be able to be chosen by MC developers, and only by the
> > user?  ;-)

Maybe so, but at least this is the way it works by default unless you
specifically override the focus color by setting it.

> That's the beauty of MC: It's not just HIG-compliant, it's better than
> HIG-compliant, in that it often lets us decide when the HIG applies.
>
> Please, Scott, allow another option for the focusColor which turns it off.
> In the big picture, this is the most HIG-compliant option.

I guess I've overestimated the number of people developing for (or
even testing for) UNIX systems.  This has been the way the Motif look
and feel has worked for almost 10 years now and we've yet to get a
single complaint about it or request for a way to turn it off.  The
only other thing I can come up with is just conservatism (it *changed*
on the Mac, and many people just don't like change, even if it's for
the better).

As for ways to implement this, a new field-only property is
unfortunately not an option because it would require reworking the
file format.  So that leaves us with the following options:
1) Tie drawing the focus border to the showBorder property.  This
   means you'd have to put another object (e.g. a group) around a
   field you want to have a border but no focus border.  More work,
   but then, breaking the rules should require more work.
2) Make it apply to all objects (i.e., buttons and players also get a
   focus border in the Motif look and feel, and it might be nice to be
   able to turn this off).
3) Make it global or an inheritable stack property.
4) Hack the focusColor property to have some non-existing color be a
   cue to not draw the focus border at all.

Preferences?
  Scott