On 2022-03-14, Nicolas Goy <k...@goyman.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use OpenBSD for all my network gears except wireless access points.
>
> My current access points are getting old and I'd like to replace them.
>
> I did a bit of researches and there are quite some boards supported by
> OpenBSD, but I cannot find one that tick all my boxes.
>
> Here are my requirements:
>
> - OpenBSD compatible without proprietary binary blob (coreboot...)
> - Wifi .11ax or way to update to it in the future (mini PCI), I can manage
> without it for now with .11ac, my current AP are .11n
> - SMA/i-pex... connector
> - 1 gigabit ethernet
> - Bonus: PoE but I don't mind if it doesn't, I'll manage
> - can be a board, a full computer... I'll manage.
> - the form factor doesn't really matter as long as I don't have to hang a
> midi tower to my wall.
> - must be available in europe (switzerland)
> - < 200$
>
> If you have any suggestion, I would be delighted.
>
> Regards

There's no chance of meeting all of these requirements with OpenBSD.

For AP-side 11ac there are some bwfm(4) devices which _might_ do but they
are not common. Really at this point the emphasis for wifi on OpenBSD
is for client-side not AP-side. There are some options but they are limited,
and bwfm is the only one with 11ac.

Ignoring trying to run it on OpenBSD, for setups with more than a couple
of APs I would probably get either TP-Link Omada or Ubiquiti Unifi with
an on-site controller. Omada is a Unifi clone and so far they haven't
made quite such annoying/questionable decisions as Ubiquiti have been
doing recently.

They both use java 8+mongodb for the controllers. Unifi runs on
amd64 OpenBSD (you need to install it from ports as we can't distribute
packages - you can't run distributions direct from upstream as some
binary part in one of the .jar files isn't built for OpenBSD).
I haven't tried running omada on OpenBSD recently; last time I tried
it didn't work but that may have changed. There are fairly cheap small
"hardware" controllers which might not be a bad idea.

MikroTik was mentioned too, that might be an option but IMHO they are
better at routers and wireless bridges than they are at making APs for
normal end-devices to connect to. 8 APs is enough that you probably do
want some kind of management setup; they have this but it's more complex
than unifi/omada (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Simple_CAPsMAN_setup)