On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 01:52:15AM +0100, Nicolas Goy wrote:

Hello Nicolas,

> I use OpenBSD for all my network gears except wireless access points.
>
> My current access points are getting old and I'd like to replace them.

I was also in the same place a year or so ago. After seeing many
recommendations I bought a Ubiquiti device, but I would not recommend it: it
is poorly documented, with two separate incomplete UIs, and buggy (including,
but not only, dropping connections), even before one considers things like
"phoning home" etc. Not one of my better purchases, and I'm surprised how
often they're recommended -- I was happy to be rid of it.

I then bought a cheap Celeron box as an OpenBSD router and a Ruckus access
point (an R510 in my case, though I suspect most of their models would suit
my purposes) with the "unleashed" firmware. The Ruckus is an absolute joy --
the UI is simple and well thought through, so I had it 95% configured to do
what I wanted in under 10 minutes, and the (clear! fairly complete!)
documentation helped me do the rest soon after. It has been rock solid for 6
months, without once dropping a connection. The only problem is price -- they
are prohibitively expensive new for a typical consumer, but on ebay you can
pick them up for a reasonable price.

Laurie
--
Personal                                            https://tratt.net/laurie/