On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 01:32:35PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> There's no chance of meeting all of these requirements with OpenBSD.
>
> For AP-side 11ac there are some bwfm(4) devices which _might_ do but they
> are not common. Really at this point the emphasis for wifi on OpenBSD
> is for client-side not AP-side. There are some options but they are limited,
> and bwfm is the only one with 11ac.
>
> Ignoring trying to run it on OpenBSD, for setups with more than a couple
> of APs I would probably get either TP-Link Omada or Ubiquiti Unifi with
> an on-site controller. Omada is a Unifi clone and so far they haven't
> made quite such annoying/questionable decisions as Ubiquiti have been
> doing recently.
>
> They both use java 8+mongodb for the controllers. Unifi runs on
> amd64 OpenBSD (you need to install it from ports as we can't distribute
> packages - you can't run distributions direct from upstream as some
> binary part in one of the .jar files isn't built for OpenBSD).
> I haven't tried running omada on OpenBSD recently; last time I tried
> it didn't work but that may have changed. There are fairly cheap small
> "hardware" controllers which might not be a bad idea.

Thanks. I had many issue with device not being able to roam properly, so
I guess having a managed setup would help, as it would allow me to not
have to turn off/on wifi on my devices when moving around the house.

I should have a Raspberry pi to spare, I can put the controller on it
and jail that.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Regards

--