Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi...@uottawa.ca> writes:

Hi Harald,

I am compiling a qualitative list of experiences of those who have requested help from various user groups who/which have been rejected or ignored, to try to find similarities between the approaches used by the poster; a grounded theory methodology. Would it be okay if I included yours?

Thank you for considering, Katie

Hi Katherine,

As someone who's been participating in multiple online tech fora for well over two decades, i'd like to make some comments, based on my own experiences.

Some common problematic approaches taken by posters include:

* Not demonstrating any awareness of group rules or culture.

One thing not mentioned there is top-posting, which is common outside tech communities, but often frowned upon within tech communities. 'Top-posting' involves adding one's reply _before_ the message one is replying to, rather than _after_.

There are a few reasons this is discouraged in tech contexts; one is that top-posting not only removes potentially important context, but often results in important questions not being answered. Many of those seeking help don't answer questions that they've been asked - questions that have been asked in order to diagnose what the problem might be. Top-posting seems to exacerbate this phenomenon, and it can be exhausting to try to help someone, only to find it's like pulling teeth.

* Treating volunteer communities as though they consist of paid staff.

OpenBSD is primarily a volunteer effort - the developers/maintainers, the documenters, the people trying to help out on the mailing lists. Yet people regularly interact with the OpenBSD community (and other volunteer-based tech communities) as though we're a business offering a product seeking 'market share' - and in a number of cases, act as though they're entitled to the sort of support one would might associate with a _paid_ support contract. But OpenBSD is developed/maintained _for the developers/maintainers themselves_, even if it's nonetheless made available for others who might also find it useful.

* Assuming that "lack of response" must mean "being ignored" (often in a way that implies that the user feels entitled to others' volunteer time).

There's a general phenomenon called "Warnock's dilemma":

"Warnock's dilemma, named for its originator Bryan Warnock, is the problem of interpreting a lack of response to a posting in a virtual community. The term originally referred to mailing list discussions, but has been applied to Usenet posts, blogs, web forums, and online content in general. The dilemma arises because a lack of response does not necessarily imply that no one is interested in the topic, but could also mean for example that readers find the content to be exceptionally good (leaving nothing for commenters to add.)"
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warnock's_dilemma

In the specific case of people asking for help, people will usually not answer with "Hmm, I don't know", just for the sake of answering - that would flood the group with useless messages. Additionally, however, there are common behaviours that can result in volunteers not feeling inclined to put in the effort to help someone, which are described on the "I downvoted because ..." site:

 https://idownvotedbecau.se/

Hope that helps - please feel free to contact me off-list with any followup questions.

Alexis.