On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Michael Hanke wrote:

> >     Try it again but instead of giving up post the results and we'll
> >     see what we can do to help.   You'll need the various development

> This is very kind of you. The system is a SuSE 7.2 with security updates from

        You're welcome.   Hmmm, 7.2 is a bit old but should work.

> SuSE and with KDE3.1. Moreover, SDL 1.2.5 is installed by hand. These are the

        What $prefix did you install SDL  into?   This, I think, is the
        beginning of the errors you're seeing.

> versions of the autoconf system:
> libtool 1.3.5, autoconf 2.53, automake 1.6.1, m4 1.4o. I do not like to update
> these tools because it's a running system...

        Quite understandable.   The versions of automake and m4 should be fine,
        autoconf and libtool are a bit old but shouldn't cause a problem

        It is possible to have more than one version of automake installed
        on the system at one time.  There is of course the risk that the
        wrong one will be used if you forget to use 'alias' or a different
        method to select the correct one.

> By the way, I got similar results on a SuSE 8.1 box.

        Oldest system I had was SuSE 8.2 but it was upgraded to 9.0 a week
        or so ago.

> And here are the results of autogen.sh:
>
> You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
> `aclocal.m4'.
> Running aclocal -I ./movtar ...
> aclocal: configure.in: 414: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library

        That is the beginning of the end.   'aclocal' did not run
        successfully and that means automake will not run successfully and
        that in turn means ./configure will not run properly.

        I believe the problem is that the sdl.m4 file did not get installed
        where 'aclocal/automake' could find it.   Two ways to work around
        this problem:  1) cp sdl.m4 /usr/share/aclocal/sdl.m4 or 2)
        create a symlink in /usr/share/aclocal/ to point to the sdl.m4 file.

> Running autoheader...
> autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
> Running automake --gnu  ...
> configure.in:9: `automake requires `AM_CONFIG_HEADER', not `AC_CONFIG_HEADER'

        Hmmm, that error does not appear if I use automake 1.7.3.

        If that continues to cause a problem you can edit configure.in
        and change AC_CONFIG_HEADER to be AM_CONFIG_HEADER.

        It is beginning to look like a dependency on a newer version of automake
        has been introduced into mjpegtools ;(   automake 1.5 is supposed to
        be sufficient but that might not be correct now.

> configure.in:12: no proper implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found,
> configure.in:12: probably because aclocal.m4 is missing...

        That's expected - aclocal did not run to completion and without
        aclocal.m4 automake will not run correctly.   AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is
        crucial and if automake doesn't detect it.

        The rest of the errors occur because of the earlier errors from
        aclocal and automake.

        If you can't get the existing version of automake/aclocal to work
        then it will be necessary to install a newer version.

        Good Luck.