On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Jason Bodnar wrote:

> Based on Doug's comments, I think a mod_perl track at the ORA conference
> would be the best solution. We had our own track in 1998 and it was great.
> And, if the mod_perl track got real popular than it could be spun off into
> it's own conference.

You mean mod_perl wasn't its own track at the 1999 ORA conference? :)

I think that the conference is what you make of it.  For me, the 1999 ORA
conference was a mod_perl conference in everything but name, because I
went to all of the mod_perl related stuff, went to the mod_perl related
bofs, and hung out with mod_perl people.

I also think that I wouldn't attend a mod_perl only conference.  I can
think of very few things that relate only or mostly to mod_perl.  A lot of
other things are important to us, like Apache configuration, DBI
programming, SSL, etc.  In fact, I learned a lot about my own website's
performance by attending some Linux kernel tutorials and learning about
their tcp/ip stack.  Also I think it is bad to put your blinders on and
focus too much.  I like to learn about new related technologies like jserv
and phhttpd that I wouldn't get at a mod_perl conference.

-jwb