I said:
> I guess I'm not sure why mod_perl needs a conference of its own.
> Would a mod_perl track as part of the O'Reilly Open Source Conference
> work for you?  That way you wouldn't need to kill a member of the
> community by pushing organization onto them, as O'Reilly's (excellent)
> conference organization folks can do the hotels, A/V, catering, and
> other logistics.

And if this isn't acceptable, I could always have a word in the
O'Reilly folks' ears about having a mod_perl conference as a
standalone event, at a different time and place from the Open Source
conference.  The problem with standalone conferences is that you need
to have reasonably high attendance before they pay for the logistical
work and equipment hire needed to put them on.  "Reasonably high"
could be anywhere from 200 to 500 depending on the hotel, speakers
fees, tutorial attendance, number of parallel tracks, etc.

It's much less ambitious to start with a track or two devoted to
mod_perl at the Open Source conference, and then fork it off into a
separate conference if the attendance at those tracks shows there's
the interest to justify it.

Nat