Ken Williams wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gunther Birznieks) wrote:
> >I am afraid that while I agree, a check system is really quite useful to
> >me. Some things do need more quantification, but that can be done later.
> >
> >eg lightweight vs heavyweight is subjective. But it can be broken up into
> >saying something like how much code needs to be loaded at start time (an
> >issue for CGI/Perl). eg I think people would agree that the startup of
> >CGI.pm is different from CGI::Lite which is different from cgi-lib.pl. Of
> >course, there are many other features that you get from them that can make
> >a difference in your program.
> >
> >Anyway, that is why this checklist is being designed by all of you and
> >handled by an independent 3rd party. It's not a marketing tool. So if you
> >complain about session support being a checkbox, I am sure that the feature
> >name could be refined.
>
> I agree.  I came up with an initial set of checkboxes (posted here last
> week), but I'd have no qualms about some author wanting to ditch some of
> those.  I think a useful comparison would use feature comparisons only
> as a means of revealing the comparitive philosophies of the systems.

I think splitting the systems into tiers (simple, average, framework)
will also help to solve this problem. And of course, the feature
checklist will be a continually evolving creature.

> Gunther, has anyone found a good home for such a comparison to be
> hosted?  It would be cool if it were at perl.apache.org, or even better
> at www.perl.com or something (since it's not mod_perl specific).  As
> long as it's easily updatable by its maintainers (and who are they?).

Excellent question. I was planning to initially host the document on my
home page. But I'm sure that wouldn't last for too long. I guess the
initial maintainer would be me, but I would have no problem expanding
that list in the future. Which brings up the question - how would it be
maintained? CVS? I'm all ears...

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.