--- brian moseley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> if we'd have been operating in a java environment, we'd have
> been able to take advantage of the "insanely great"
> JavaMail, which comes out of the box with an IMAP backend. a
> prototype IMAP re-implementation of our mail client took
> about 3 days, as opposed to the month or more it will take
> us to do the perl implementation.
[...]

Isn't that the point?
Java already has the tools, because there are more people writing for
it, because it's had more hype, because "it already has the tools...."

I love Java, but good luck if you've inherited a legacy machine for
which there is no convenient port of the Java version in which the
desired code is written. I'm stuck on an old HP T500 running HPUX
10.20, and the Java version on it is early 1.0. Java's great if you're
looking for something out-of-the-box like JavaMail, but if the advocacy
project succeeds there will *be* boxed Perl IMAP solutions, and all the
other stuff you already get with Java.

For me, I'd go Perl every time. I like PHP and Python and Expect, too,
but though I want to keep my hand in them all, but much like there's a
best language for most problems, there's also a best language for most
personalities. Java works great for the straight-laced type who wants
all the garbage collection and strict OO features and such; C is still
great for systems folk who *like* playing fast and loose with pointers
(and I'm guilty...); but Perl lets you write quick-and-dirties in
seconds, *as well* as giving you "use strict;" and object modules and a
pretty good GC system, even if it isn't as elaborate as Java's.

Call me an advocate!

Hey, how about a link/page like the contract sites use?
Someone posts an "I need [so&so]", and someone else writes one and
posts it. Maybe the site would allow a fee to download (a dollar? an
amount set by the author?....), splitting all the proceeds with the
author and letting anyone who downloads it do a review?  We could even
start the site off with cross-links to CPAN's free stuff, and users
could spend their dollar just to post
comments/suggestions/reviews/requests/complaints about the modules....