On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Michael Nachbaur wrote:
> This is exactly what people mean on this list about people not
> understanding the principles of enterprise programming.

Easy there.  You don't know anything about me or how much traffic my site
handles.

> THere is absolutely no way to scale a system which uses an RDBMS as a
> state / transaction support system beyond 1 web server and 1 database
> server.

What do you mean?  Most systems use a cluster of web servers and one
database server.

> How are you going to scale to 10,000 simultaneous users?  I've *seen*
> systems with my own eyes that can do that, and I'm telling you they do
> not use an RDBMS.

Well, what do they use then?  I'd be very interested to hear about a
better solution.  I know that Yahoo uses custom file-based servers instead
of an RDBMS, but I doubt they have transaction support in it.  It's easy
to build a storage system that's faster than Oracle (e.g. MySQL), but it's
hard to build one that does ACID transactions and still has better
performance and scalability.  What have you seen that works?

- Perrin