I don't mean to naysay it, but this is going to start getting quite binary
specific. I guess you could maintain an RPM for Linux, but beyond that it
seems quite difficult. And even if you maintain it as an RPM for Linux, do
you make your own Perl distro with it or use RedHat's crappy distro?

Or?

On Linux I think installing Apache with Mod_Perl is almost trivial. What
might be needed is some shell scripts that automate the process to
accompany the readme's.

It's the other platforms that are a bear for me personally. But if you made
a binary for every platform. Wah! So hard.

I think you are better off not touching the binary stuff and sticking to
writing a traditional app framework that is not dependent on mod_perl, is
not dependent on any database, but can make use of such things. Then,
people can upgrade as they see fit.

Later,
   Gunther