at a time earlier than now, kevin montuori wrote:

>   aer> the possibility of being able to untar one package to get
>   aer> mod_perl w/ persistent db connections, [&c.] is very glamorous!
>
>        agreed.  but fundamentally impossible.  what database are you
>        going to provide persistent connections to?  mysql?  not on my
>        solaris box you're not, unless you're going to include mysql in
>        your distribution.  besides, i want sybase.  ok, so skip the
>        database and use DBM files, gdbm's everywhere, right?  again,
>        not (standard, anyway) on solaris.  so, package up gdbm too.

    Well, I see the problem, but ... when you install J2EE or WebSphere, you
    don't actually get DB2 or Oracle installed too.  You do however, get
    an interface to a connection pooling mechanism, all you have to do is
    code it ( and maybe configure it ). I'm imagining the same thing.  If
    you need a feature, turn it on. No CPAN, Compilation, etc ...

    Rather than having to install Apache::Session,DBI,DBD each time, it should
    be ready to go with whatever database you are using.. or not at all.

    Providing compiled version of DBD drivers is harder, but not necessarily
    in the scope of this project. Oracle provides their own jdbc drivers, not
    Sun and yet it is still a easier install.

    I agree that providing a complete working, just add water environment is
    impossible, but providing the groundwork for one is not. So let's start,
    as you suggested, with two goals

        1) bundling working versions of apache and mod_perl
        2) providing summaries and descriptions of mod_perl development
            environments.

    Aaron