You should check out the documentation on mod_proxy to see what it's
capable of: <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html>

You can specify expiration values and be assured that cached files older
than expiry will be deleted.

So, for example, if you know that your content gets updated every 48 hours
you can specify 'CacheMaxExpire 48' and force the proxy server to
retrieve a new copy every 48 hours.

You can also set headers within a dynamic document that specifies an
expiration time. Check out the link in my previous e-mail for more info.