On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Philip Mak wrote:

> > > Running a non-modperl apache that proxies to a modperl apache doesn't seem
> > > like it would help much because the vast majority of pages served require
> > > modperl.
> >
> > Not necessarily.
> >
> > You can use mod_proxy to cache the dynamically generated pages on the
> > lightweight apache.
>
> I thought about this... but I'm not sure how I would tell the lightweight
> Apache to refresh its cache when a file gets changed. I suppose I could
> graceful restart it, but the other webmasters of the site do not have root
> access. (Or is there another way? Is it possible to teach Apache or Squid
> that ccs.htm depends on header.asp, footer.asp, series.dat and index.inc?)

I don't know with Apache::ASP, but it can probably be done. With
HTMl::Embperl it would be pretty trivial.

You could probably get quite a gain with having a squid or a
mod_proxy process in front. Both because they would slurp up the
data and feed it to slow clients and because if you could cache the
documents for just a minute or so it might save quite some hits on
the backend.

> Also, does this mess up the REMOTE_HOST variable, or is Apache smart
> enough to replace that with X-Forwarded-For when the forwarded traffic is
> being sent from a local priviledged process?

Have a look at ftp://ftp.netcetera.dk/pub/apache/mod_proxy_add_forward.c

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen - <http://ask.netcetera.dk/>
more than 70M impressions per day, <http://valueclick.com>