On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 09:51:55PM -0500, brian d foy wrote:

> however, i have been talking to a few people about something like a
> mod_makefile. :)

I've used this approach succesfully on a lower volume site where the it
was taking lots of time to build the final HTML but the data sources
didn't change much.  <plug>I have a module (Slay::Maker) I use for
exactly this purpose that takes a "makefile" written in Perl and I use
that to rebuild the pages, and if no page needs to be rebuilt, I can 304
the result</plug>.  A mod_makefile would be even nicer, being written in
C.

If you're looking for Perlish makes, Nick Ing-Simmons also has a
Make.pm, there's a Makepp project out there, and <plug>I have an unreleased
but releasable Make.pm that supports most of the GNU constructs</plug>.

Putting squid or something in front of a heavily trafficed site (and
remembering to flush all or part of it's cache when you change the back
end would definitely help) and using a makefile approach on the backend
to avoid reading & writing lots of rarely updated data every page view
should both help.

- Barrie