On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Gunther Birznieks wrote:
>
> > Well, you know how I feel. :) But the others don't so...
> >
> > I believe the most crucial and missing approach is to put resources into
> > making ready-made applications that work on mod_perl rather than core
> > mod_perl itself. This is also a problem on Linux, but that's another story.
> > A quantity of applications for mod_perl or that demonstratively show that
> > using mod_perl is a benefit (ie fast) is necessary (and I don't mean tech
> > products like AxKit -- which are great but not what I am talking about)
>
> I will be demonstrating a canned micropayment system at O'Reilly in San
> Diego this year.  The reference implementation for the content provider
> uses mod_perl.  I think you are right that most people in non-tech
> business want a solution that works immediately, rather than a toolbox.
> The toolbox is already there with Apache, mod_perl, and DBI, now
> application developers can just step up and deliver.

My company has developed an internal messaging application that is written
as mod_perl handler / DBI / CGI.  It is like the internal messaging
systems you see at trading sites like etrade, but more featureful... it
supports sending messages to other users on the system, attaching files,
and SMTP connectivity.  It was designed for use by healthcare parties
who require a secure environment (we run it behind our SSL server).

We are planning on releasing it as soon as we can fully separate it from
the rest of our code.  Mostly just wanted to let people know in case they
were in need of something like this and were thinking of developing it
themselves.

Cheers,

- Adi