> However, I would have to say that I "feel" like coding
> middleware in Java
> is easier and more standardized, and well documented.

OK, so what are we missing? I feel like we're getting pretty close to
standardisation of middleware development with environments like POE (which
rocks, but is under-documented and still quite hard to grok), but maybe
there's more we can do - and having people like yourself who cross the
divide can only help if you give us more information :-)

One thing I know is missing in the XML world is an equivalent to JAXP.
Hopefully we'll put that right fairly soonish. I guess there's equivalent
issues in the whole Perl "middleware" environment, but we don't really know
what they are.