Investors suck like that. I have had to fight many of these battles.

The first thing to do is find out specifically _why_ the investor thinks
that so you can counter their claims. Trying to counter vague notions of
'terrible' is impossible. The opponent has to commit to an opinion
before you can fight it.

Then just point to many of the well-known sites on the success pages
that are high volume and do quite well with mod_perl

Explain that to do this project in Java or C or CGI would have costed
more, taken longer and given negligible benefits.

Thats what I do. I usually also show how my architecture can interact
with other architectures via XML or directly at teh data store level.

Good luck