> > GUI builders usually don't work for anything but the
> > most trivial websites that could be written in anything
> > and do fine.
>
> consider struts, a popular java mvc framework. it defines
> simple interfaces for things like actions and forms. does
> struts (and mvc in general) work for non trivial websites?

Struts is a framework, not a GUI builder.  I'm all for frameworks, and we
have stuff on CPAN that duplicates all the significant parts of Struts.

> a struts-oriented rad tool could easily scan WEB-INF dirs to
> find action and form classes and represent them in the gui.
> the main purpose of the tool would be to assemble and
> configure those classes in order to generate a
> struts-config.xml file. it could also incorporate ide
> functionality.

Such a tool does exist for Struts, but all it does is generate/edit the
config file.  Too me, this doesn't seem very labor-saving (typing in a Swing
app vs. typing in my text editor), but it might generate more interest among
certain groups.  Adding some mod_perl oriented stuff to whatever the leading
Apache GUI is these days could be a good start.

> > People seem to come to mod_perl because they need more
> > performance or more control than they can get from CGI.
> > I'm not sure I want to try and draw in users who can't
> > program at all.
>
> why do you think this tool would appeal to people who can't
> program at all?

Because your post made it sound like you were talking about drag-and-drop
wizard-driven GUI builders with pre-written components (which is what Kylix
is trying to be, if I understand it correctly).  There is a need for tools
to generate instant database editing apps, and some projects to build those
tools exist now.  Beyond that, I think most users know enough Perl to write
actual code in a good editor.

There are already commercial Perl IDEs (aimed at CGI mostly) that have some
code generation support and a set of pre-built components.  Maybe looking at
those would help to gauge developer demand for this kind of thing.

- Perrin