From:             "Noam Solomon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:          Porting to OS X
Date sent:        Tue, 4 Jun 2002 13:43:11 -0400

>[ Double-click this line for list subscription options ]
>
>Can anyone give me a rough idea how much time it would take to move a
>server serving
>mod_perl websites from UNIX to OS X?  It uses Apache::Session,
>DBI::Mysql,
>HTML::Mason, CGI,
>and Apache::OpenIndex, among others,  and uses both AuthHandlers and
>AuthzHandlers.
>
>I know it's difficult to estimate without knowing how big the websites
>are, what kind of
>functions they call, etc., but if you could give me an idea of what kind
>of problems I can
>expect to encounter and how difficult they are to work around, I can give
>a quote to my
>client.
>
>Thanks,
>Noam Solomon

I'd be very interested in how this progresses. I recently helped a
collegue to get a cgi program running under apache using standard perl on
OSX -- I found that the perl distribution that comes with OSX is the
original 5.6 rather than more up to date versions AND that the
application, which runs on an aging 486 with 64 megs in our shop and uses
about 4 megs including mod_perl enhanced apache, took 40 megs on OSX and was very slow.
This was on a G4 with 500 megs of memory.

Michael