Nick,

I think you raise valid points that I think Nathan and the reviewers should take on board when they do this chapter and subsequently review it.

However...

1) I believe that rather than entirely naysay that some common cookbook items can be covered in a mod_perl chapter, I would prefer to see what Nathan et al come up with rather than discourage them from trying at all.

Will it be "futile" as you suggest? Maybe. But then Nathan and the reviewers can choose to cut the chapter.

Will it be too complex and therefore cause problems for readers? Maybe. But I think I would trust Nathan and his reviewers to judge after it's done. And again, there is the option of always cutting that chapter as mentioned above.

In my past writing life, I've cut plenty of chapters when after seeing a whole book, deciding that they didn't fit (or worse, where it just was a bad chapter I wrote). I suspect Nathan has done the same in his lifetime and I would trust his professionalism in this manner.

In other words, I think we should trust that Nathan et al have been writing/editing for a long time.

Can they make mistakes? Yes. No one is perfect. But I also trust that their experience will allow them to come up with something for this chapter which will suit a market need. And if it doesn't, to not use that material.

 But I think it would be sad not to try at all since there could be benefits to this chapter.

2) Will mpdc lose sales? I suppose so. Short-term maybe.

But then should Stas stop publishing his book? MacEachern and Stein theirs? Surely they also overlap with mpdc. And there will be other books by other publishers that will overlap with mpdc as well.

I suppose that I feel like I am more of an economic optimist than you.

While short-term, it may appear that more mod_perl books being released would cause fewer sales in a market that is "fixed", long-term, I believe having more written material about mod_perl will actually help the market.

Provided it is done well, I think a chapter in TPC that covers mod_perl explicitly is a good idea also for spreading mod_perl community advocacy and learning.