John Siracusa wrote:
The mod_rewrite solutions lack dead server detection, and that's something
I'd rather not try to roll on my own, especially after seeing how well (or
not, actually) existing software solutions do.  But I've added it to the
list.
It's kind of disappointing to hear that the mod_perl solution it probably
not feasible.  Perl solutions are always more fun to implement ;)
The mod_rewrite option is a Perl solution. You would write some Perl code to manage the availability checks and optionally to provide a new load-balancing algorithm. It's very similar to using mod_perl for it, except you get to skip writing lots of annoying proxy code.

- Perrin