--- Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is exactly the same situation as Perl. Perl has SAPI support
> on IIS through PerlEx, lots more through FastCGI, and runs
> persistently with any server that supports CGI via PersistentPerl.
> (AFAIK, PHP has no equivalent for that.)

That's correct, although I think a few people are interested in
implementing some sort of persistent server like that.

> This is part of why I think singling out mod_perl, as opposed to
> talking about Perl's speed and SAPI support in general and giving
> mod_perl as an example, is a questionable tactic.

Yes, I now understand your earlier point, and I agree. I didn't realize
that Perl had SAPI support outside of Apache (well, I never gave it much
thought either). Shows what I know.

> I would have thought PHP developers would be more anxious to get
> features like separate comparison operators for strings and numbers
> or more than one name space for functions! :)

Namespaces would be a dream come true for me, personally. That's probably
my biggest complaint about PHP (and one of the most valid complaints made
by those who don't grok PHP).

Chris