Chris Shiflett wrote:
--- Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2) docs need to have user comments.

I'm not sure it's a good idea. We already have a way too much
documentation. Instead of making it even harder for users to find
things, one should take the existing docs and improve them, rather
then dump random comments in there. If you want to add a comment,
that means that something is not clearly explained.

This is true, but I don't think it discounts the merit in having user
comments. One of the best features of the PHP manual is the user comments,
and it's helpful for those weird scenarios that maybe only a couple of
developers encounter. It also encourages more people to contribute.

While it would be nice to think that anyone with a contribution to make
would submit a documentation patch, I think you'll find that giving people
an easy form to add a comment results in much more feedback, and other
developers who reference the manual seem to really appreciate some of this
random insight.

A good approach to take with user comments is actually to try to get rid
of them (I know, it sounds contradictory). You basically want to delete
the ones that aren't valid and integrate the valid ones into the
documentation itself. Sometimes those who write the documentation may not
have thought of something, and a good user comment can make documentation
maintenance much easier.

So, while user comments may not be the best idea, I don't think it is an
idea that is completely without merit. Of course, as you suggest, ideas
are cheap (mine included). Suggesting user comments would be much better
bundled with some code. :-)

Sure, it's perfectly reasonable. But nothing prevents those users from posting those comments to the list and then they will be integrated into the docs.
This kind of approach is useful for those rare cases, when a solution is not a generic one. For most users it's much better to have less docs, to be more digestible.

Alternatively, someone may want to start a wiki project where people can dump anythings they want, and then we can merge some of those notes back into the docs.