Steve,
   Welcome to the world of M-boats. Sounds like Mr. Reed 
got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
   I saw an interesting study the other day on what it 
would look like if you took a 100 person cross section 
of the world and how many of them would control the 
majority ot the money, have a decent education, etc. I 
found it interesting that not even one person would own 
a computer. So by global standards if you can read this 
you are richer than 99% of the world's peoples. However, 
I don't think you were out to offend rich folks with 
your comments. I have many fond memories of our 
first "club" race we ever showed up at with the local 
yacht club only to discover we were one of the only 
boats without matching sweaters. However, as time went 
on we beat some of those well dressed boats and made a 
lot of friends. But to some of those folks it always was 
a "size does matter" sport and we never quite fit in 
with that segment of the club. But for the most part 
just being out on the water is enough to bridge the 
barriers and there are a lot of great folks to meet in 
big boats or little.
Enjoy the new boat and welcome to the M-world.
Steve Gray
.....It's not about the boat, it's about the wind.
> Steve,
> Sorry you have such a smug attitude about what other people possess.
> 
> The majority of boaters are not "rich", they dedicate a large chunk of 
> income to
> boating,  because they love the sport.  I have had many boats in the last 
> 20 years.
> I have never considered myself rich.  Maybe some one that could only afford 
> a sabot might
> consider you "rich" because you have a M15.  As far as "having to work for 
> a living",
> everyone that I know in boating has to work for a living.
> 
> Sorry, but the first of your post was a complete turn off.
> Good luck in all your endeavors.  Maybe someday you will become "rich"
> drr
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> At 11:48 AM 12/19/01 -0600, you wrote:
> >Hello Montgomery Folks!
> >
> >My name is Steve and I'm here to join your club.  Just show me where to
> >sign.  Some time ago, after doing a little research, my lovely wife and I
> >determined that a Montgomery 15 was the boat we needed. (Want to cruise, no
> >place to keep a big boat, no money to keep one in the water around here
> >(Evanston, Illinois))
> >
> >I had a subscription to the magazine "Cruising World" -- somehow I never
> >could identify with all those rich people (no offense to all you good rich
> >people out there!) with their 40 or 60 foot yachts, sailing the South
> >Pacific (Sorry, but I have to WORK for a living).  The one really good
> >thing that magazine did for me was, one day I was paging through the way
> >back of the issue, where the little black and white ads are, and there was
> >an ad for Montgomery boats.  I was intrigued by the idea of a "pocket
> >cruiser" -- so I went to the Montgomery Marine website, and was immediately
> >HOOKED.  On their website was a link to the MSOG website.  So I've been
> >"lurking" on your mailing list for some time.
> >
> >I've been braving the Big Lake (Michigan) in a little 14 foot Hobie Holder
> >monohull  for the last two years.  (Those two to four foot waves (typical
> >on a decent sailing day) can get pretty tiring in an open day sailor.)  We
> >took the Holder up to Wisconsin last summer to explore beautiful Castle
> >Rock Lake for a week, and camp along it's shores in Buckhorn State Park.
> >
> >Well last week we lucked into (I HOPE it will turn out to have been GOOD
> >luck) a Montgomery 15 for $2,400.  It was in Columbus Ohio, a 7 hour drive
> >from the Chicago area where I live.  Went out last weekend, gave it a quick
> >lookover (no major problems immediately apparent -- some cleanup necessary)
> >plopped down my money, and towed it all the way back here behind my lttle
> >Saturn.  (NO PROBLEM by the way, but I was definitely using all four
> >cylinders)  Left here Saturday at 4:00 AM and was back by 8:00 PM -- 15
> >hours of driving and 1 hour of bargaining later.
> >
> >I HOPE I got a good deal -- there seems to be some water down in the keel
> >sump area and some under the floor (between outer and inner hulls?)
> >DIRECTLY underneath the porta-pottie.  This seems related very closely to
> >the problems that I've read about that "Connie" Benneck,  Natalie &  Mike
> >("Junior") and Lacey Hartje have reported, with leakage in the centerboard
> >trunk area.  I hope I'm up to the task of fixing it -- I know I'll be
> >asking for some advice from you all.
> >
> >Anyway -- great to be here.  BUT NOW I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE THING IN THE
> >WATER!  (Gotta get right with State of Illinois first, for one thing).
> >
> >More another time.  Heigh ho!
> >
> >Steve
> >
> >PS: Oh, by the way, it's hull #152, made in 5/81
> >
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to