See:

http://www.eisa.net.au/~lofting/prisms.html

In the world of the cardinal there is no such concept as past-present-future.

these ordinal concepts are derived from our attempts to 'drill down' to get details on
something. This 'vertical' process, when done to a high degree leads to the emergence
of a pattern horizontally that we interpret as a sequence... IOW refined ordinality is
DERIVED.

Chris.