The only way you get better at reading is by reading.  Having said
> that, I too have noticed that kids do want to get together in larger groups
> to share the books
> they're reading.  This is different and I will be making more time for this
> for those kids that
> want to do this.  But this is really about sharing and not about reading.
> The purpose is social,
> I think.  Even though kids choose to get in groups to do round robin reading
> I'm not sure I
> would let this go on indefinitely or encourage it.  I think we have to be
> careful that in our haste
> to validate choice we are not sacrificing learning.

Great point here, Elisa. Perhaps some balance between the two would be best.  I
will need to think more on this. My daughters and I have always loved reading
together.  We did the entire Harry Potter Series aloud together, so I always
assumed there is an argument for reading together if it is joyful and fun, not
rote and boring.  I do think it is important to have students do as much
reading as possible--so your argument speaks to me.

Thanks,
:)Bonita