Hi Bonita, Debbie and others,
I have a different perspective on what you describe below.  I'm curious as to
what others
think about this.  I have an expectation in my class that during independent
reading
time the children may read with one other person but no more.  I tell my kids
that the
reason for this is so they get time to read.  If there are more than two
children on a
book then some will dominate while others will not get the time reading that
they
need so they can read that challenging book that they have in their desk.  If
the book
being read is not a big book then there's the question of whether or not
everyone can
see the pages.  Of course, this can be fixed if there are multiple copies of a
book, which
isn't always the case.  The only way you get better at reading is by reading.
Having said
that, I too have noticed that kids do want to get together in larger groups to
share the books
they're reading.  This is different and I will be making more time for this for
those kids that
want to do this.  But this is really about sharing and not about reading.  The
purpose is social,
I think.  Even though kids choose to get in groups to do round robin reading
I'm not sure I
would let this go on indefinitely or encourage it.  I think we have to be
careful that in our haste
to validate choice we are not sacrificing learning.  I'm thinking out loud here
and I know I've
probably left out something that would help clarify what I'm saying so that
people don't jump
all over my back but I'll leave it at this for now.

I also find this insteresting about the boy groups choosing to read aloud.  At
first I was going
to say it's about the social nature of reading but I think it has more to do
with boys and their
need to talk and move around rather than sitting still.  I have two daughters
and one son.  My son
will be 3 at the end of October.  He is very different from my girls.  He
purposely takes things
apart, destroys really, and moves around ALL the time.  When I read to him he
has little
tolerance for books that take a long time to get to where they're going.  My
daughters were
not like that.  When they were little (they're now 19 and 15) they didn't rip
things up at will
or take things apart or challenge us.  You could actually walk with them down a
grocery aisle
without too many disruptions.  Now that I have a son I am paying closer
attention to the boys
in my class and some of the differences I notice.  Although I knew these in my
head before I
wasn't feeling them in my heart.  I am not about accentuating the differences
so that they
become stereotypical but I am about being aware that there are differences and
that
we need to study them so that we can know how best to help our students learn.
One of my
students (grade 1) earlier this year said to me, "SeƱora Waingort, you only
have girl books in
this class about fairies and stuff like that.  When are you going to get some
boy books?"  That
made me stop and take notice.  I hadn't though about it too much before but now
I started
seeing what he was saying everywhere.  BTW, I read or heard somewhere that
there are just
as many differences among boys (maybe more) than there are between boys and
girls in terms
of reading, behaviors, etc.
Elisa Waingort
Calgary, Canada
PS I have heard other teachers talk about the boys in their class not wanting
to read.  To be honest,
that was never my problem.  Finding good non fiction books for our classroom
library was my challenge.
I loved it!

---- Debbie Goodis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think we really put this in perspective when we consider the alternative.
> What teacher is going to discourage the child from reading out loud in or to
> a group of peers. We wouldn't do that, right? So, this tells me to let it
> happen. It's such and incredible moment of interaction and community.
> Debbie

Yes.  That is what I decided when it kept happening in my room when they had
choice.   I think they liked being on the same page together reading aloud
because they liked to gasp, laugh, and groan together.  I did have to set some
ground rules down on the "help" part because some students would have a
tendency to jump in quickly when a student had any trouble with a word. Still,
they all continuously chose to read like this.  Only a few reading groups went
for the silent read around or the select a page to meet up on.  Interestingly,
when I asked the students about this choice, some said they liked hearing the
words together, and some said the read around helped them to stay focused
whereas reading alone did not. When they also chose their own groups, boy
groups almost every time chose the read around--why do you think that is so?

:)Bonita