In my 20 years of teaching I have seen buzzwords come
and go much likethe bees---
often times (mostly always) teachers are told you have
to do this or that and rarely , if ever, are teachers
given the support.  Or better yet, there are
interpretations by administrators, coaches ,,,,,and
things stray from the intended instructions.   And
teachers are left to do  their best usually based on
their own philosophy of teaching  (remember that
class).

Round Robin---for example.  If you asked me to
explain, I would not be able to give you a
definition!!!  I don't know what Round Robin reading
is.  I may be doing it and feel completely comfortable
with it!

In my "unrefined" opinion, the most important thing in
instruction is  the how----we must set the "learning"
environment such that a student feels cared about.
Have you ever been to a spousal social event where
even though you are stranger the host and all make you
feel so comfortable????and others where you really
feel unwelcomed???
I think that we must set the tone such that kids are
begging to "learn out of our   hands".  All these
strategies...ie buzzwords...are tools that teachers
should try and see if it works for them----
"Research" based strategies must be looked at with
care because there is scant quality educational
research.  I can think of 4 that I place value
on---USC followed a cohert of students from preschool
to hs graduation; Stephan Krashen--the more students
read, the better they get; Jim Trelease, read to kids
and the Chicago Project.  These have been long term
projects/observations.  I should add Barbra Flores and
the work on writing she has done with very young kids.

Currently we have lots of "sail in by day and sail out
by night" type research and we need to use our
"passionate and learned"  professional experience to
sift out the junk and keep only the nuggets and then
use it in such a way that it benefits our kids.

As I reflect on my 20 years of experience little has
changed in th gist of my personal way of
teaching----daily writing , 2-3 read alouds per day;
nurture curiosity and creativity; a garden (with an
array of containers); ---the how it was done will vary
greatly form teacher to teacher because we all bring
something different to the table---isn't this what MOT
is all about---and why aren't we applying it to the
way we teach----MOT across the curruculum---really
shout be MOT across our lives or at least across our
teaching.

I remember discovering MOT--oh my God!! oh my
gosh!!!Wow!!Wow!Wow!! there were people out there that
had the same thread of thinking as mine!!!It was so
validating--- MOT has really helped me refine my
philosophy of teaching because the core of  MOT is
something that has always been there for me.  I have
become a better teacher because  of all you!!!

Yet my students have lagged!!!!why??? why????student
make up has changed, adminstrators have changed,
parental participation has changed, demographics have
changed!!!! I can't control these but I  know they
affect results.

This past year some of my students grew up to 3 years
and some grew very little---the ones with the daily
exhortations of please make sure your child reads,
does the homework are the ones that had the least
growth---my environment did not overcome their home
culture.

Back to Round Robin---I probably do it!!!  Am I gonna
stop because someone says that it's bad for
kids----whoever says it probably did their way, with a
group of kids that is different than mine, different
text, different objectives, different parents,
different administrators etc.
So what do I do that comes close to resembling round
robin---determine my objective, decide on text, random
group of kids (max five) explain
objective--expressions, word id.  We all become
teachers--we each take a turn reading some and we
critique/evaluate each other-the good and the bad
(glow and grow)-I read also with mistakes so that I
can be critiqued!!!we all go back to do independent
reading to apply our grows and glows.

Anyway these are just my thoughts on how we activate
our prior knowledge and use our schema to synthesize
our passionate teaching!!!