---- Debbie Goodis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think we really put this in perspective when we consider the alternative.
> What teacher is going to discourage the child from reading out loud in or to
> a group of peers. We wouldn't do that, right? So, this tells me to let it
> happen. It's such and incredible moment of interaction and community.
> Debbie

Yes.  That is what I decided when it kept happening in my room when they had
choice.   I think they liked being on the same page together reading aloud
because they liked to gasp, laugh, and groan together.  I did have to set some
ground rules down on the "help" part because some students would have a
tendency to jump in quickly when a student had any trouble with a word. Still,
they all continuously chose to read like this.  Only a few reading groups went
for the silent read around or the select a page to meet up on.  Interestingly,
when I asked the students about this choice, some said they liked hearing the
words together, and some said the read around helped them to stay focused
whereas reading alone did not. When they also chose their own groups, boy
groups almost every time chose the read around--why do you think that is so?

:)Bonita