From: Linda Crumrine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:22:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] phonemic awareness/segmentation help wanted

Hi,
I have been reading all the posts and basically agreeing with what
everyone has been saying - even when the posts were contradictory!  I
think that different readers require different types of instruction,
and that our challenge is to understand the needs of our learners and
teach accordingly.  I think most readers learn best in context.
However,  some children need explicit skill work, and then need
explicit instruction in how to apply the skills they are learning to
the reading process.  I have found that the more a student struggles,
the more explicit I need to be.  Some students who appear to be over
phonicated, have actually not become automated enough so that they can
leave the decoding stage.  Lifting the words off the page requires so
much cognitive energy that there is nothing left over for constructing
meaning.  My analogy is that I am athletically challenged.  Immersing
me in softball did not help me to improve my game, although most of my
friends improved.  I would have required much more specific
instruction on how to catch and hit a ball in order to become barely
adequate.  Consequently, I can still not play softball.
Sorry I rambled,
Linda