In  This may not necessarily be phonics but it helps students see the
patterns that are everywhere in our language. When breaking words into parts
(again, not necessarily phonics, but geared for the older students), they gain
alot
of comprehension when they are able to understand root words, prefixes and
suffixes.

There are two approaches to  teaching phonics to help children become
readers, synthetic and analytic.  Synthetic phonics is taught through drill and
practice of letters and letter  sounds. The learned letter sounds are then
blended
to sound out words. Analytic  decoding is taught by helping students see
patterns and similarities in words.  Children are often taught with strategies
like
word walls and making words, by  identifying onsets and rimes in words.

This deep understanding of our language makes it possible to read  difficult
words and put meaning to them.

In my opinion, you aren't reading if you aren't  putting meaning to them.

Nancy

fuel-efficient used cars.