In a message dated 6/24/2008 11:29:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

It seems  as though we are confusing the point of this conversation. To teach
phonics or  not teach phonics is not the real question. The real question is
what and how  to teach kids who aren't reading well (and reading well includes
all 5  components of literacy).
I guess I would beg to differ with this "5 components" point. I am a child
of the 50's. I learned to read whole word. "See Puff. See Spot." A whole
generation learned to read this way. My daughter, who is in her  20's and  one
of
the most voracious readers I know, never learned a vowel sound until she
started singing arias at the university level. She learned to read with
language
experience.

While  comprehension is obviously the end result, there are many things that
go into  comprehension and how we get kids there varies with each child.
DIBELS gets a  pretty rough rap on here and I think it is because it is being
considered an  assessment rather than a screening. Would you all agree that a
student who  does perform well on DIBELS is well equipped to move forward in
literacy  instruction that focuses on deep comprehension?
No. Why are they moving forward? Why haven't they had literacy instruction
that focuses on deep comprehension all along?

And a  student who struggles on part of the DIBELS may need to be considered
for  further evaluation to determine what would best prepare that student for
progress into the area of deep comprehension?
No..see above.
There are students who can't hear the sounds in words.

but I have rarely seen a student who struggled with fluency be  able to reach
that deep comprehension we are looing for.
I've actually known several students like this, and have seen students on
video tape miscue on multiple words orally and do some excellent retells.

They may  be able to do it while being guided, but independently it just
doesn't happen.  They spend too much time and energy getting through the words
be able to  synthesize meaning, too. I guess I have to say that, in my
opinion, the  fluency is still key to comprehension.
We had a wonderful conversation about this on the  Mosaic list last  year.
The TAWL listserv is going to be discussing the book, Reading Fluency,
Process, Practice and Policy starting June 30th. You might want to sign on and
join the conversation.
_http://listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=tawl&A=1_
(http://listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=tawl&A=1)

Nancy Creech