No, I cannot say that doing well on DIBELS tasks means a child has the tools
to comprehend and without comprehension, I cannot see any moving towards
being literate.  I know I have said this before, but my blind father has a
machine that can decode (yes, nonsense words), read with speed and
reasonable phrases.  It is not literate, it is a machine.  My father, who
can think about what he reads, is the literate part of this partnership.

Lori

On 6/24/08 10:11 AM, "Beverlee Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The question was:  But would you all agree that a student who does perform
> well on DIBELS is equipped to move forward on literacy instruction that
> focuses on deep comprehension?
>
> I wish I could - but I can't.  I do agree that a student who is fluently
> reading a selection will be better able to focus on meaning.  However, I would
> also agree that a student LISTENING TO a selection can focus on deep
> comprehension.
>
> Unfortunately, I have seen students (and not just a few) who can decode and
> speak words very quickly and accurately (which is what DIBELS measures after
> all) with little to no comprehension.  If you haven't had a chance to read
> Rereading Fluency by Bess Altwerger and others, you would enjoy thinking about
> what she says.  She documents research showing that some students'
> comprehension is handicapped by their "fluency" (speed); all their efforts go
> to reading quickly instead of comprehending.  Interesting stuff.  What we need
> now is research replicating that which she presented.

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District
Box 87